21 July 2009

Stainless steel yarn


I discovered some absolutely gorgeous yarn, mixed with stainless steel by Habu. The SS is almost invisible but it gives body to the yarn, whether you use it for knitting (I am currently making a jacket with this with two different colours - black and a brown) or even lace (I have a white cone for lace). When the knitted garment is complete, you just "scrunch" the garmet into shape.
The yarn is available in wool and stainless steel or silk and stainless steel.
It inspired me to attempt to spin my own - I found a supplier of the steel I just now need the time to experiment.

2 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I saw some of this yarn at a fiber fest, and it was beautiful! I didn't buy any because of the expense. I'd really like to buy a small amount in a kit to see if I even like it. I wonder if it would be hard on the hands? I can't wait to see what you spin!

Lori McNamara said...

Where did you get your steel? I would love experimenting too, the yarn is so expensive though.